Friday, February 15, 2008

NBA All-Star 2008 - Day 5




What an inspirational day!!! I woke up at 5am for an NBC interview, followed by a full day of volunteer work. I was blown away by the number of volunteers who came out to help the NBA's "Day of Service."  The NBA sponsored a brand new Kaboom! court and playground, which we helped assemble.  The playground is adjacent to a school that I visited 15 years ago.  Today it is totally demolished!  We also helped on a Habitat for Humanity Build and we helped paint at a local school. I am still awestruck by the devastation here.  We have gone from neighborhood to neighborhood and all still need so much work.  I was happy to have been able to help in some way.  I am so proud to represent the NBA and WNBA as we have done so much good here. I hope other companies will follow their lead and give to this community.  I know I will be back! 
The beauty in the midst of the devastation  are the people who live here.  They are helping each other rebuild homes, and 2500 of them came out for our "Day of Service."   I am so thankful to have been a part of such a positive day!





No comments: