Friday, March 25, 2011

Helping Make the World a Better Place

What an honor for me and my players to speak with Bill Russell! We share his passion for education and his love for basketball. We were in awe as Mr. Russell spoke about the problems facing the Oakland community (namely, education and violence) and how he was going to lead the way towards a better community.

I have never seen a "celebrity" with that much passion and conviction to help make the world a better place for all. I am thrilled my team was able to have such a real world education last night.

Additionally, they were able to listen to legendary athletes talk about the problems facing the Oakland community and how we all need to join forces to help raise graduation rates and stop violence. Proceeds from the dinner help support The George P. Scotlan Youth and Family Center: http://scotlancenter.org/

 Oakland mayor Jean Quan

 Baseball great Vida Blue

 Former San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown

No comments: