Sunday, July 11, 2010

WNBA Cares in Connecticut

Donna Orender, right, and the WNBA All-Stars

I hosted a WNBA Cares Fit event with several WNBA All-Stars and Olympians at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Connecticut.

A big part of the WNBA Cares mission is to help teach and educate kids to be healthy and active. I also had the opportunity to watch our next Olympians practice. The level of play and talent is outstanding!


Geno Auriemma, head coach University of Connecticut and Olympic team coach

Geno Auriemma, UCONN’s head coach, is our Olympic team’s head coach as well. I like his intensity and his teaching style with the players. As I prepare for next season coaching my team at USF, it is invaluable to learn from the great coaches around the country.

July is recruiting month and most coaches, including myself, are out nearly 20 days this month watching tournaments all over the country. We were recruiting at a huge tournament, End of The Trail, in Portland prior to my quick time out with WNBA All-Star.

Now it’s back to recruiting in Chicago! As I watch the young women compete in hopes of getting a college scholarship, I am so grateful that women have these kinds of opportunities to fulfill their dreams.

It was not that long ago that women did not have opportunities like this....

Jayne Appel, WNBA All-Star from Stanford

Tamika Catchings, WNBA All-Star and Olympian

Teresa Edwards, 5-time Olympian

No comments: